Chandigarh is the finest planned city in India equipped with world-renowned architecture and an unparalleled quality of life. Chandigarh, the face of modern India is the manifestation of a dream that Pt. Jawahar Lal Nehru envisaged and Le Corbusier executed.
Here are some of the facts about this city that most people aren’t aware about :-
- Chandigarh, as witnessed today was designed by a well known French architect, Le Corbusier.
- The city is a union territory controlled by the Central Government and serves as the capital of two Indian states, Haryana and Punjab.
- It is the first planned city of India.
- It is noticed that the sectors in this city and Panchkula don’t have Sector 13, a superstitious belief that the no. 13 is not auspicious.
- In this city, you won’t notice any statue in parks or at the roundabout, a condition of the architect Le Corbusier.
- As this city is the base for three governments, most of the people living here are either government working officials or retired one. Due to this, the city has been given the title of ‘Pensioner’s Paradise’.
- The network of roads here is called the 7V’s, with the vertical roads called the Paths (running northeast/southwest) and horizontal roads called Margs(running northwest and southeast).
- It ranks the highest in Human Development Index in the list of Indian states and union territories.
- The city acquired its title from the popular Chandi Mandir Temple, which is presently a famous traveler destination.
- It is also included among ten cities that are apparently the best places in India to start your career.
- It is the greenest city of India.
- Chandigarh government has a monument named The Open Hand built by Le Corbusier. It stands as a symbol for “the hand to give and the hand to take; peace and prosperity, and the unity of mankind”.
- This city seems new but it is 8000 years old.
- It is also known as mini Singapore due to its beauty and structure.
- In Chandigarh, Ola and Uber fares are cheaper than auto-rickshaws.
- The city has various cycle tracks hence it is an ideal place for cyclists.
So, what are you waiting for? Gather a trip to this city and make yourself fall in love with the pedestrian friendly roads, non-traffic areas and lush green surroundings. The Rock Garden, Sukhna Lake, Leisure Valley, Parrot Bird Sanctuary, Rose Garden, etc. are the major tourist attractions in Chandigarh you must visit.
About the Author
Megha Harsh serves as a content writer at The Ideaz Factory. She has been a student of English Journalism at the Indian Institute of mass communication. A writer by day and reader by night, she is loathe to discuss herself in third person. In addition to writing blogs, she also has interest in writing poems.